Three Tips to Increase Your Availability

I had a leader ask me this week what I thought the most important ability a leader could possibly have. I thought for a moment and said, ‘availability is your best ability’. As leaders, it can be so easy to get stuck in the office. Afterall, there is always paperwork, demands from the district leadership and state department, evaluations to be written, and so forth. There is a fine line that exists between operational management and instructional leadership. Two worlds can coexist, if you are clear about your priorities and intentional with your time.

To help you as a leader, here are three tips to increase your availability:

1. Start the day out of the office: when you begin your day in your office (no, I don’t mean dropping off your stuff) the odds that you get out and about are significantly lower. I found in all my leadership roles that if I began the day in the office, people would find me there and it became a challenge to then head out and be visible. I had to show up a little earlier so I could put my stuff away, make that ‘on the go’ cup of coffee, and get out into my building.
  2. Calendar your availability: I share this tip frequently here on the blog, but it’s because it’s so effective. For me, the self-proclaimed non-type A, putting time on the calendar was often the only way I would get things done. That also goes for my time in the hallways, in the classrooms, and at the front door. Block the time and stick to your schedule. You will find yourself increasing your availability if you dedicate the time on your calendar.
  3. Schedule meetings in classrooms and work spaces: as the leader of your organization, people want and need to meet with you. You have two choices for where those meetings take place; your office or their space. Unless you are dealing with a sensitive issue or some employee discipline, schedule your meetings outside of the office. A teacher might want to meet with you on their prep, go to them instead of them coming to you. Have a student who wants to visit with you, meet in a common space (hallway bench, library, etc). The bonus that comes with meeting in spaces outside your office is that you have to move to and from the space, increasing your availability and visibility. It also might give you more opportunities to be in spaces you don’t normally frequent.

Leaders are ineffective without a strong following. Followership requires people who believe in you, your vision, and who trust and respect your leadership. To create that following, you must build relationships. You can’t build relationships without being visible and available. Once again, you cannot lead from your office or behind your desk. Get out, get visible, and demonstrate that your availability is your greatest ability.

Have a #RoadToAwesome week

Darrin

The countdown to 100 concludes this week. Episode 99 is live now, tune in this week to “Leaning into Leadership” where my guest is repurposed educator Jillian DuBois. Episode 100 will drop as well on October 4th – don’t miss it.

To celebrate episode 100, we are running a special promotion on my book Road to Awesome: The Journey of a Leader. Hit the link and use the code FOBA to get the book for only $20 and free shipping. Click here to purchase the autographed copy. 

Need some help? Got a question? Reach out, let’s talk.

Learn more and sign up for our weekly newsletter, loaded with awesome content at roadtoawesome.net

Make sure you subscribe (button on the left) so you don’t miss any future posts.

Road to Awesome: The Journey of a Leader.. Click here to purchase the autographed copy.

Want to buy the book on Amazon instead? Click here

Looking for that awesome speaker with an incredible message to build your staff culture? Look no further – connect with me here

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment